History of Battle Road

History of Battle Road Brewing Company

Battle Road Brewing Company was founded in 2012 by Jeremy Cross and Scott Houghton. Both have had decades of experience in professional brewing throughout New England and in Jeremy’s case, across the country. Scott, while working at Salem Beer Works, met Jeremy, fresh from the UC Davis Brewing Diploma program, when he joined the Beer Works team. Both found they had similar, complimentary views and philosophies both in life and in the brewing of beer that afforded them years of harmonious collaboration. After many years as Head Brewer at Salem Beer Works, (including three Gold Medals at the Great American Beer Festival), Scott left the company after 12 years of dutiful service. He then founded BreweRepublic in December of 2007, as a consulting and Brewery Development company. Jeremy, leaving his position as Head Brewer of Fenway Beer Works, (the largest volume brewpub east of the Mississippi at the time), joined this endeavor in 2008, and they both set off as entrepreneurs into the toughest economy in nearly 80 years. Over the next several years, in addition to consulting in the United States and abroad, (most notably in the Czech Republic near Prague) BreweRepublic continued to develop brewery concepts for their own goal. The idea to develop as Battle Road Brewing Company came from the evocative history surrounding Boston and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. They also identified with the notion of perseverance and resistance against tyranny that is the backbone of the history of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1775. We honed the concept and the business plan, achieving our funding goal ahead of schedule. Battle Road Brewing Company proudly operates in Ipswich, Massachusetts. Our first brand is “1775 Tavern Ale”, a pleasantly hopped Pale Ale utilizing the finest ingredients. We hope “1775”becomes a beer you can count on as a solid choice. We will increase our offerings throughout the upcoming year so stay tuned!


The Battle Road: Battles of Lexington and Concord, April 19, 1775”

By the morning of April 19, 1775, the tension in the Massachusetts Bay Colony had been escalating for some time. King George III and his Parliament had imposed the “Intolerable Acts” against the outlawed Provincial Congress of the Massachusetts Colony and had occupied the city of Boston. Five years prior, in a flash of violence against a tormenting mob on March 5, 1770, British Regular troops shot into the massed crowd in front of what is now called the Old State House. Killing five outright, with a sixth severely and ultimately fatally wounded. This event was met with public outrage, as were the court hearings that found the British not guilty, deftly defended by none other than John Adams. A chain of taxes upon common goods increasingly raised resentment amongst the citizenry. The most famous response to these controversial actions was the “Boston Tea Party” that culminated in the dumping of an entire shipment of British tea into Boston Harbor in December of 1773. Weary of British occupation, the King’s oppressive reign and dismissal of Provisional Government, and the growing movement of rebellion spearheaded by the “Sons of Liberty”, the populace became more embittered and determined by spring of 1775. Intelligence had been acquired through Dr. Joseph Warren and Paul Revere, leaders of “The Mechanics”, the rebel spy network. The British were on the move, planning to confiscate arms and provisions stored by the regional militias around Concord, Ma. Very much related to the National Guard today, these militias were maintained by towns and counties to protect against hostiles and provide local protection. Colonel James Barrett, leader of the Concord Militia had stored a large cache of weaponry at his farm. Such a large store of arms, including cannon, had incited a response from the British leadership. Royal Governor Thomas Gage planned a march on Concord to seize the supplies. Alerted by lantern struck by Sexton Robert Newman in the North Church steeple the night of April 18, 1775, Paul Revere and William Dawes embarked on horseback to warn the country folk.

As the sun rose on the spring dawn of April 19, 1775, Captain John Parker and his militia, less than 80 strong formed on Lexington Green. Nervous townspeople spoke of the road from Boston, filled with Redcoats. The British, some 400 strong outnumbered Parker’s men 5 to 1. The majority held fast in the face of impossible odds, yet in the tense standoff, someone fired, the British let loose a volley, killing eight and scattering the remainder to no losses on the British side. The British marched on to Concord. The ensuing Battle of North Bridge yielded a shocking surprise for the British; a steadily increasing number of local minutemen gathering to challenge them. The British were now the outnumbered force. Attempting to secure the North Bridge under the watchful eyes of hundreds of angry rebels, barely one-hundred redcoats advanced towards the bridge. Both sides came within 50 yards of each other, shots again rang out. This time the hills around Concord echoed the volleys of gunfire. The forward British ranks broke and made for the center of Concord, as Grenadiers dispatched as reinforcements made their way towards the confusion. The die was cast, with rebel forces nearing 1,000 angry and emboldened men, the King’s men prepared to retreat. While the rebels maintained defensive positions, their numbers still increasing, the British organized the march home, put defensive flankers to the side and rear of their ranks and made way for Boston and safety. What followed was a harrowing flight through a gauntlet of running minutemen, with lightning fast attacks from woodland and from behind stone walls. Violent and bloody ambushes at close range harried the routed British all the way back to the City of Boston on what we now call Battle Road. The War for Liberty had begun.

Copyright Battle Road Brewing Company 2012